Wednesday 19 May 2010

A message to the masses

I haven't written anything down on this little blog that's worth noticing and taking away with you. And I'm certainly not going to start now.

Today I sent a script to a corporation that will probably glance at the first ten pages and toss it in the "reject" pile (where so much of the tripe that's broadcast on television these days belongs - but alas, that's a post for another day). I more or less know a hundred percent that putting the stamp on it and giving it to the lady behind the counter at the Post Office will be the last step in this particular project. I have very little hope for the idea, mainly because I'm a naive nineteen year old with very little life experience, a small amount of skill and virtually no "get-up-and-go". But there is a little string of hope that I am dangling from with it. As I wished the envelope good luck in it's journey to London, I momentarily thought how I could potentially look back at this day as the day that started the big boulder rolling. But then I slammed back down to Earth, shoved my hands in my pockets and made my way home.

Yet stranger things have happened. How nice would it be if someone reading the dreadful script (trust me - I've put my heart and soul into it and I'm still embarrassed by it) looked past the poor dialogue, the ridiculous plot and the unfunny quips? Wouldn't it be wonderful if they saw a glimmer of potential shining through those A4 pages.

Sometimes hope is all we have. I've recently expressed interest in writing for an independent gaming website - getting paid nothing, but getting my written word out there in a sort of semi-professional manner. It's something I've tried before and failed at; running before I could walk and ultimately receiving no word back from the top-dogs. Pricks. So this will be something to put in my writer's CV and hopefully get a tiny acorn rolling rather than the big boulder. And from tiny acorn's, mighty oaks grow. That doesn't work here... But shush... I'm being pretentious and optimistically philosophical.

Good luck little script. And say "Hi" to the other worthless ideas in the reject pile.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Robin

    I noticed that you listed Yes Man by Danny Wallace as one of you favorite books. I'm reading Embarrassing Situations for Men by the same Mr W and really enjoying it. Good luck with the script - it's a long hard road, but persistence and rewriting usually pays off.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete